Monday, June 16, 2014

Checkmate.



Bobby Fisher ain’t got nothing on my husband and me when we really want something to happen.


In a few simple moves we orchestrated an entire weekend of anniversary fun and quazi alone time.

It all started on a Monday afternoon, I was in a bitchy mood and I just wanted a freakin’ burrito.  So after I picked up the kids, I strong-armed my husband into thinking burritos were good idea.  Truth Statement: It didn’t take much.  I am always relieved when I am not searching some form of chicken nuggets to stick in the microwave. 

Then there it was on the wall: A poster advertising Jonny Lang at the Portsmouth Music Hall this coming Saturday night.  Check.

Husband takes out super smart phone, looks up tickets, holds breath..he gasps…there are two seats available in the third row: Check.

Saturday afternoon we had a kid party…in the town where my parents live..Check.

I look up at him, we needed to move quickly.  I called my parents: “Want to have a sleep over with our two amazing children after the kiddo birthday party? Yes?! Ah-mazing! Thanks Mem and Pep.  
Check mate!

This interaction took less than 10 minutes!  I am starting to realize that good things like this always happen in 10 minutes or less.  Anything that take months of organization is not nearly as exciting as the rush of doing something adult-ish, making sure that kids are well cared for and getting a night out alone. 

The opening act was Matt Andersen, who left us speechless.  What a soulful voice! He showed his guitar who was boss!  (..And to think, the hubs and I almost went out dinner and skipped the opening act.)  This performance was so good, we both agreed the Jonny had better bring his A- game otherwise Matt was going to make him look like an ass-hat.  Matt signed a cd for me after the show in the lobby. I kinda wanted to snuggle him because (even though he has been playing the blues for years) it was like I had uncovered secret bad ass bluesy treasure. Arghhh.
 
Matt Andersen: Canadian blues guitarist eh?

Jonny Lang was great, as usual.  Swoon.  
Hi, I am Jonny, I have been a bad ass musician since I was 15.  
Do the right thing, play the game, and go check out Matt Andersen at Prescott Park on July 9th

Your move.

No comments:

Post a Comment