Friday, April 4, 2014

A Response to Dr. Oz's 3 Day Smoothie Detox

It was a while ago -aka, January "the month - which we do not mention," but after a day or two of research the hubs and I decided to take part in the Dr. Oz 3 day smoothie detox!

We did our research and we bought one of the best things ever! A NINJA blender.  Seriously people, I feel like there is a list of things that someone should pull you said aside and say - hey ps. as an adult, please spend your money on X.  X - being an expensive blender, a decent iron and a good hair cut.  The Ninja was paramount in making smoothies for three consecutive days and yes, did actually "make ice into snow." I am a believer.



At any rate, I digress.  We used a coupon to purchase the NINJA at Bed Bath and Beyond.  We made a smoothie exclusive shopping list and were ready to detoxify!

It is a three day regimen where you drink a lot of green tea and eat three smoothies/day for three days and are supposed to take a relaxing bath with special oils and salts - (but that didn't happen because this was before mini #2 was even remotely close to sleeping well.)

I really enjoyed this program and after it was completed I felt really good.  I was not painfully hungry, in fact at times I felt too full to eat another freakin smoothie.

Here is an accumulation of truth statements about the detox:


Get a heating pad and a foam roller/tennis ball! This is the best piece of advice I can give you.
After one full day of smoothie intake, I felt pretty gross with flu like symptoms?! What the heck was going on?  Naturally, I googled it and discovered that when toxins leave your body and enter your blood stream, it can in fact mimic the effects of the flu.  I was achy all over.  I strongly recommend using a heating pad and foam roller on your muscles.

It says to give up coffee.  Haha. NO.  I did however cut down from 32 to 24oz and eliminated any sweeteners. Dr. Oz, I am down with that toxin.


Prepare the smoothies all at once.

I found it very easy to take the smoothie recipe and triple it. Then freeze it in mason jars.  Then at night, thaw the necessary smoothie for the following day.

Purchase fun colored bendy straws.
When the smoothies were cold and I was drinking it out of a purple bendy straw...it was fun?

Be prepared for the intestinal revolution
All systems during the detox were working well.  However, one thing that I love/hate about the detox thing is that when you start eating other foods again is that it can start a gastrointestinal war fare.  For that reason, it is best to eat clean and carry on with that sort of lifestyle.  My first meal post detox was sushi - which I thought would be ok...and it was not.


Goodluck!






No comments:

Post a Comment